Contest draws on USPS slogan
Youth poster contest gets under way
The 2009 Boarman National USPS Youth Poster Contest runs from fall 2008 to fall 2009 and is open to all children ages 6 to 14. Entries will be divided into three age groups: 6–8, 9–11 and 12–14. The theme of this year’s contest is “Boating is Fun!”
The national winners in each age group will receive $150, and the first and second runners-up in each group will receive $100 and $75 respectively.
The deadline for squadron-level entries is set by the district and must occur before district judging at a spring conference or summer rendezvous. After district judging, first-place winning entries must arrive no later than noon, 10 Sept. 2009, for national judging at the USPS Governing Board Meeting in Kansas City, Mo. Entries should be sent to the attention of Philip Osborne or Claudette C. Gallop.
- Entries may be vertical or horizontal in orientation.
- Entries must be on 15-by-20 or 14-by-22-inch poster paper.
- Participants may sketch the design lightly with pencil, but the end result must be a color poster.
- All media may be used except computer-generated artwork, professional illustrations, photos or copyrighted material.
- Do not fold the poster.
- The poster will be judged for the idea presented more than artistic ability.
- One entry per person, please.
- All entries become the property of United States Power Squadrons, which reserves the right to display or otherwise use the submission and modify any poster for future reproduction.
- The contest entry form must be completed and pasted on back of the poster.
Additional rules and information on creating a good poster can be found on the entry form.