7 ways to be environmentally conscious on the water
Most boaters want to enjoy the open waves in ways that won’t harm fragile marine ecosystems. Below are a few tips to make your next boat trip both fun and environmentally conscious.
Follow these commonsense tips to ensure a healthy, safe trip for all. You can find more eco-friendly boating tips here.
- Check for leaks or damage to the boat.
- Ensure bilges are clean and dry. Address leaks or pump overflow.
- Clean and grease electrical systems, and make sure nothing is frayed or worn.
- Make sure the propeller is working properly. A damaged propeller requires more fuel and costs more to operate. (Check your impeller if you have a jet drive.)
- Fill the gas tank before you leave.
- If you have a glass-bottomed boat, give the glass a good waxing. This prevents the buildup of debris and other detritus on the glass and reduces the need for harmful chemicals when cleaning the boat afterward.
- Check for leaks in the gear case, and ensure the oil is not contaminated.