Carbon monoxide dangers
10 things you can do to avoid CO poisoning
- Know where carbon monoxide exhaust outlets are located on your vessel.
- Become familiar with the symptoms of CO poisoning and where CO may accumulate.
- When docked or rafted with another boat, be aware of the other boat’s exhaust emissions.
- Visually verify that water flows from the exhaust outlet when the engines and generator are started.
- Listen for changes in exhaust system sound, which could indicate an exhaust component failure.
- Test each CO alarm by pressing the test button.
- Make sure all exhaust clamps are in place and secure.
- Look for signs of exhaust leaking from exhaust system components. Signs include rust or black streaking, water leaks, or corroded or cracked fittings.
- Inspect rubber exhaust hoses for burned, cracked or deteriorated sections. All rubber hoses should be pliable and free of kinks.
- Never swim off the stern platform while engines are running.